Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Life Outside of Training

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
-Unknown

Hi,
Things are pretty quite out on the western front, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to talk about stuff not related to training. It may have taken me the whole month, but I did eventually meet people outside of the pentathlon world. Having friends who are not directly connected to training came as a huge relief. Since I spend so much time with my coaches and am always being evaluated and compared, I get into the mindset of always trying to "perform." Having friends, even if they are a bit older than me, has been a great way to de-stress and relax.

I'm currently trying to find a place to ride. Even though riding is one of the events, it is not something we do on a regular basis and riding has been such a huge part of my life, I'm missing it pretty bad. I entertain myself with facebook surfing, reading, working (I'm currently editing a book) cleaning my room (very therapeutic, I recommend it highly) and just being outside. I have found a church that I like and am attending regularly.

Since Colorado has a lot to offer, I'm hoping to get to do some of it before I get too caught up in training. I want to attend a Rockies game, go rock/mountain climbing, and of course ski! And now that I have friends, I'll have people to do all these things with!

I'm becoming more adjusted every day, but I do still miss Virginia and all of the people there. So if you have the time to spare, give me a call!

Current 200m swim time: 2:50
Current mile run time: 6:35
Current ailment: that pesky left ankle...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Caitlin,
    I am very excited about your church and new friends as I think is is very important for your mental health to have some balance in your life. I sure hope you do get a chance to see a Rockies game. It's been quite a few years since we saw one as a family in '95(?) and the skiing will be amazing, just be careful with that pesky ankle! (I suggest you get some basic instruction first!)
    One more thing: Both you and Will have had some trouble this week with the two words "quite and quiet"! I am seeing a weakness in my teaching!!! Remember It is QUITE QUI - ET there right now. We miss you and it's pretty qui-et here too!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete