Thursday, August 27, 2009

1 Year Anniversary

!Hola!

It's been a year since my tragic case of "I want to go to the Olympics-itis" first set in. I'd like to take a moment to look at the changes and progress I've made.

First off, to all of you who were the "first responders" to my condition - do you believe me now? I'm actually in COLORADO, training with some of the top olympic coaches, working out every day, and have successfully competed on the national level! I remember telling my fellow RAs that I was going to train for the Olympics and they all laughed at me. Not anymore! In fact, Lindsey and Jessica were the only people I initially talked to who didn't think I was joking.

But "told you so's" aside, I've made some big improvements.
This time last year I could barely swim 10 laps (1000 meters) and now I swim 5000m every day.
This time last year I could also barely run a mile - maybe not even that, and now I can run 7-8 miles in an hour - at high altitude.
Last year I had never even touched an epee, let alone knew what fencing really involved. Now I've had the privilege of bouting with Olympic fencers!
Last year I also never shot an air pistol - now I practice shooting for at least an hour every day.

With that said, I still have a ways to go in achieving my Olympic dreams, but I'm on the right track. It's been challenging, but I've come further than I ever though possible and I've met some really amazing people along the way. All I've got to do now is just keep on keeping on!

Current 200m swim time: 2:40
Current mile run time: 6:30
Current aches and pains: shoulders

1 comment:

  1. Hey Girl!
    We are soooo proud of you. It really is hard to believe that you are actually in Colorado, training full time for the Olympics, like you told us you wanted to do a year ago. And yes, we did think you had lost it, but we should have remembered with whom we were dealing! And just look at your times since you began this blog! - your running time was 7:20 and now you are at 6:30 and your swim time started at 3:20 in May and here you are at 2:40. Just keep on keepin on and keep you eye on the goal and remember that God is with you- and so are we!! Much love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete