Monday, August 10, 2009

Caitlin Gets A Job

Hello,
I feel like my life should be made into a children's book series and this one is titled: "Caitlin Gets a Job," (just like "Spot Goes to the Farm.") Anyway, since my training is so time consuming, I have not been able to hold a regular job. It seems not many are interested in "I can't come to work but I'd still like a paycheck" department. Luckily, however, I was able to secure a job waitressing at a local Mediterranean restaurant/cafe with an understanding and flexible owner. I only work a few hours a week, but it helps to alleviate some of the burden off my parents.

I have never waited before and there's something you should understand about me - I don't really like "people" and I don't really like needy "people." This is not to say that I'm anti-social, but being gracious has never really been my thing. Ever. So naturally, a job in the service industry is right at home for me...

So far, I've only had to deal with a few onery customers, but here are some characteristics I've picked up on:

1. All men tip well - regardless, no matter what.
2. All women tip poorly - regardless, no matter what.
3. The more normal people seem, the more mean they are.
4. The weirder people seem, (pink hair, tattoos, studded chokers...) the nicer and more sincere they are.
5. People with small children that like to throw rice never tip enough.

Another interesting part of my job is handling the full-scale bar. On my first day a customer ordered a martini. I wrote down the order and went into the back to see who the bar-tender is. When I asked, the cooks politely informed me that "you are." I grew up in a fairly "dry" family and my experiences with drinks have been limited - and I certainly never mixed anything! I mixed some things together and then gave the woman her drink. I was so scared that she wouldn't like it and would be mad that I messed her drink up, so I gave the table to another waiter and tried not to go over to that side of the restaurant for the rest of the night.

Anyway, next time you eat out, remember how hard waiting really is and don't skimp on the tip!

Current swim time: 2:40
Current run time: 6:30
Current aches and pains: Nothing!

1 comment:

  1. listen, i'm professssssional waitress, and when you get that first like saturday night rush your going to want to kill yourself but at the end of the night when youu actually count your tip money you decide its all worth it. <3 you and i know what your going through with needy people.
    ~katieeeeeee bremz

    ReplyDelete